Friday, July 12, 2013

With Regard to Agressive Atheists.

Side note: I am not okay with the claim that always science endorses
atheism. The scientific method cannot apply to spirituality because
there is no observable data on the topic.
Logically, science would endorse agnosticism. The openness to all
ideas about who we are, where we came from, and what might be out there.
 Scientific evidence counters things in the bible ie. the literal
translation of creation and the idea that heaven is in the sky. But, this
limited data has little impact on the expanse of spirituality.
Photo Credit: PSNT.net
I'd like to rant for a minute, if that's okay.
To the atheists of the Internet: I've noticed that you feel that you are victimized quite often. I've noticed that a few of you are quite defensive about your choice. So much so that you attack anyone you perceive to not agree with you.

Maybe this emotional reaction stems from how people close to you view your choice. But, to millions of strangers, your choice is insignificant. Much like the choice to be religious by other interneters is insignificant. Perhaps, you are defensive because your religious parents are upset with your choice. Or maybe you are defensive because you feel that the religion you grew up with has been a controlling sham that you resent for dictating so much of your life.

I applaud your ability to think for yourself. Your ability to use critical thinking to reach an important life decision. It's okay to be atheist. It really is. It's not okay to insult and attack those who are not atheist. If they are insulting or attacking you for your decision, by all means, tell them that it is your choice, and they have no right to tell you how to live your life.

But there cannot be a double standard. If you expect people to respect your decision and show it by not attempting to belittle you or convert you, you cannot belittle or attempt to convert others.

An example of the kind of rude behavior this post is about.
Photo Credit: Un-Learning.Org
If a discussion about faith arises, politely explain how you reached your decision. This may mean pointing out the flaws you perceive religion and spirituality to have. If, once you have made your case in a rational and reasonable fashion, the dissenting party continues to tell you that you are a sinner who is going to Hell just give up. This debate is not worth your time.

It is okay to discuss your perceived downsides of religion, but it must be done in a polite, logical, and civil debate.

I have reached the conclusion, entirely on my own, that religion is not right for me. But, since we cannot be certain that there is no higher power, I have chosen to remain spiritual. I find great comfort in the idea of an afterlife. I cannot imagine grieving for a lost love one with out the idea of an afterlife. I like using prayer to guide my life. But, I pray to whomever is listening, not necessarily an all powerful, all knowing man in the sky.

This is my decision. I, much like you, have reached it using critical thinking. I respect your decision, and I expect you to respect mine.

The world is changing. Not being religious is more widely accepted than many of you understand. So please be more confident in your choice to deny religion.

A billboard created by a Christian minister.
The rude, childish, overly emotional,
hate occurs in theists as well.
Photo Credit: GodDiscussion.Com
** Of course, there are many overly defensive, hypercritical religious people out there. Merely changing the word atheist to the name of any religion would hold the same meaning. Because every group has some members who are guilty of these actions. I just chose atheism because that is what I am most exposed to via the internet. I often see atheists attacking religious people when unprovoked. Or attacking an imaginary person when no one has said anything despairing or dissenting towards atheism. If you are atheist, and you feel that I am wrong in generating this post, I hope you will approach me in a civilized manner. Though, all of my atheist friends are mature, reasonable, pleasant people. So, I doubt this will be an issue. This was directed at the few, hateful, aggressive atheists that make their presence so well known on the internet.

*** Last note: An agnostic is a person who chooses to not accept or deny the existance of a higher power because sufficient evidence is lacking. Agnostic is the label I most identify with. To be clear, I am not an offended Christian, Muslim, or Jew ranting about the wrongs of atheism. I am just a person who fully believes in tolerance and acceptance of all reasonable thought processes.
A comic about agnosticism. I just love these guys.
Photo Credit: Cyanide and Happiness

Thank you for reading this. Any discourse that may result regarding this that is not mature and civilized will be removed. So, if you would like to comment, please act your age

No comments:

Post a Comment